Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Makke ki roti and sarson-no-palak ka saag

I have been seeing this combination floating around the blog-world lately and very tempted as it would be perfect garma-garam food in these cold days..
The problem was finding mustard greens, I have never used them so do not even know what they look like - I did try in farmers market and the frozen section of the grocery store but to no luck..
Then I thought, why not try it with some other greens..maybe that bunch of fresh baby spinach I just got from farmers market ??
and lo and behold, a very satisfying meal:
Makke ki roti:
2 cups cornmeal flour
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp oil ( I used olive oil)
warm water to knead.
Salt to taste
Knead the dough and keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Form small balls and roll within 2 plastic sheets i.e a ziploc cut open on three ends . (This tip really worked for me , as it is a bit difficult to roll a roti as the dough is not very flexible). Cook it on a girdle as any paratha.
Palak ki saag:
1 bunch of spinach with some ends cut and heated in microwave with some water - about 7-8 minutes
1 med onion chopped fine
1 med tomato chopped fine
1 tsp ginger grated/chopped fine
2 green chillis chopped fine
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp cornmeal used in roti
salt to taste
oil to taste
Heat some oil in a pan and saute the onions followed by ginger,chillies and tomatoes. Saute till its cooked and leaving side then add blanched spinach with the cornmeal. Add masala and salt and let it simmer for abt 10 mins on low. I threw in a handful of frozen corn to add some color and cos I love spinach and corn combination and it wasnt a bad idea either...

6 comments:

  1. Great thought Dips. What's the yellow thing in ur palak saag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dips, recently read a similar recipe for saroson ka saag on one of the blogs and guess what? Apparently, broccoli rabe is sarson, go figure. I have never eaten or made it so I can't authenticate the claim but it is worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah my fav.. I hv been looking around for some sarson ka saag. unable to find anywhere in pune

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pari, its some frozen corn I threw in at the end..
    Jaya- broccoli rabe ? You learn something every day..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Unfortunately I have some sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, Rosie passed away yesterday. I have written up a tribute to her on my blog and I am asking everyone who knew her if they would please take some time to leave a comment. I will be printing off all the comments to pass onto her husband.

    Thanks
    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete