Monday, July 13, 2009

Encapsulation and Bolu Kodhel..

Since I came back from India this time, where dudhi aka bottle-gourd is all the rage...(Who woulda thunk that the obscure lauki would be so in-thing ! Apparently , its very good for your heart..) Im trying to find different ways of incorporating bottle-gourd - dudhi in my cooking..
DH hates it and Im not a big fan..so apart from the ocassional dudhi-ke-parathe and a kofta here and there I havn't much played with it...tried the juice thing for a while but DH's face when handed me that encouraged to look out for more ways to encapsulate it ;)

Till now , Ive tried it with Chickpeas, also in the Veg Tagine and that's been pretty good...its like tofu in the veggies - as it takes the taste of the spices and seasoning its treated with...pretty versatile that way..and can hide well among mixed vegetables ;)

When I saw this RCI announcement, I had to say it had me flummoxed...I have no idea what Manglorean food tastes like..what are the characteristics ??
Following some helpful links I came across this simple but different recipe for Dudhi and bingo !
2-3 cups dudhi cut in squares
1 tbsp jaggery
1 tbsp tamarind paste
salt to taste
1 tbsp sambar powder

Cook dudhi cubes in water , jaggery nd tamarind paste with salt to taste. Let it cook for 20 mins or so.
Add sambar powder and let cook for another 10 mins.

Tempering : Heat a tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, 1-2 dry red chillies, curry leaves and add to the curry.
I tried it this weekend and just had with some rice this evening and I have to tell you - if DH noticed its his "favorite" veggie , he didnt even mention it ;)) and he - not a lover of sweet in his food too !! This simple curry is a delicious combination of sweet, sour and hot all together !! You should all try sometimes...


2 comments:

  1. Where's the click? dudhi curry sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good Dips. Will have to try it sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete