Sunday, May 3, 2009

Strawberry shortcake













Another in-season produce Im into this time is Strawberries!
Every saturday I bring about a quart of strawberries and have learnt that they are better used up in couple of days .. so strawberry milkshake, pancakes with strawberry and since they are bit sour and hubby dear is not into that and doesnt really likes 'fruits'..I thought it was about time I tried something Ive seen floating around..Strawberry shortcake !!

So, there I go :
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp shortening
2 tbsp sugar
Milk as required
Pinch of salt..

Mix the dry ingredients and pinch butter into it and mix with a fork or spoon until granular..
Add milk only to bind a bit, a little less than batter consistency..
Form about 2 inch diameter rounds and bake on 425 F for about 10-15 mins, until brown.

Meanwhile, cut strawberries into slices and add some sugar and let it seep in its juice. Add some wine/rum if possible.

Place the shortcake on a plate, top with whipped cream or icecream and strawberry slices and enjoy !!

The recipes often calls for AP flour , but I used whole wheat pastry flour instead. I think I shall try AP once, to know how its supposed to be .
It turned out well, but I couldnt really cut into half horizontally as called for as the shortcake rose from the middle and not the side. It tasted like a 'churma baati' in my regional cuisine...
All in all a good one, but may improve upon further tries..

No comments:

Post a Comment